Monday 20 August 2012

I SEE A WHITE BAG, AND I WANT IT PAINTED PINK

Being broke right now I can't afford an amazing bright block colour satchel/handbag/clutch, but that's not gonna stop me! I transformed an average handbag in to a dream this afternoon, and here's how...

1) TO BEGIN
Take an old handbag, preferably one that is plain and pale in colour (I found this PVC one in a charity shop for around £2). A bag with a slight texture to it will work best, as it will hold the colour and create good effects with the paint after a bit of wear and tear


2) CHOOSE YOUR COLOUR
I went for a fuscia pink, I considered neon, but Autumn/Winter is on it's way and I wanted something that would be flexible throughout the seasons. I used a fabric paint by Pebeo called 'Setacolor Opaque' in no. 64 'Oriental Red'. I watered it down to about a 3/4 consistency


3) AND PAINT...
I used an old decorating paintbrush as big strokes look better, and it takes less time. I didn't pay much attention to neatness as the messier the better with this. Though I was sure to cover all areas of the bag including a couple of inches on the inside. Once it started to dry I brushed over it again and pressed colour in to all the nooks and crannies. I then left it outside for a few hours to dry


4) TA DA! 
It's now night time and the bag is dry! I'm happy with it, though it will look even better after a couple of wears when the paint chips a bit and white starts to show through. I may even re-paint it a different colour somewhere down the line. A DIY look is key here, so don't go wearing any matching pink shoes now! I will wear my special dream bag with a black shirt and denim shorts


1 comment:

  1. Those bags always remind me of skin with little moles on, but your pink creation is inspired!

    ReplyDelete